Synopsis About Me
A few things about me should probably be addressed first before moving towards the ‘meat and potatoes’ of the first blog entry post. During my years of growing up I grew up in a technological age where video games were growing rapidly in the market. I grew up with video games and have learned how to solve problems from a unique approach because of them. The first gaming platform I played on was the original Nintendo with the original Mario and first Megaman games being the first that I remember playing on them. After that, when my family got our first PC, the first PC game I ever played was the very first Command & Conquer that ran through MS-DOS (I am aware that many who read this might not even know what that is, so Google it).
After that I played mainly PC games with Pokemon being the main focus because of how challenging it was to play online against other players. Other notable games that I played were Total Annihilation, Quake 1, Duke Nukem 3D, Starcraft: Broodwars, Diablo 2, and ARC. Roughly around 2004 I seriously got into my first Trading Card Game called Yu-Gi-Oh and it was a glorious time of fun for around 3.5 years. The amount of information I soaked up in that game was rather impressive when I reflect back on those days. Ultimately I quit the game because I wanted to move onto other games that were more affordable and less demanding on travel time to get to destinations to play with other people. There wasn’t any online simulation sites like there are today for the game.
About around 2006 or ‘07 I got into World of Warcraft and played that for a number of years like the other games mentioned above. After that it has been a difficult time to find games that really captivate my attention. Currently my eyes are on a MMORPG sandbox called Archeage. Needless to say, I am a pretty avid gamer and consider myself more on the hardcore of things as I always try to maximize the best possible result in the games I play.
Entrepreneurship Dreams
Everyone has dreams in their lives that they want to accomplish. I am certainly no exception to this fact either. With that said a lot of my dreams, goals, and aspirations in life are related to games. I love card games, I love video games, and have grown increasingly more disappointed in the stagnate quality of video games over the years. Things just simply don’t feel like they are pushed well enough to make each individual game as unique from the previous and next as possible. Because of that the strong desire to create a means to solve the issue in the industry has plaguing me. The only solution to the problem I see is creating a business of my own and manufacturing products that articulate the solution to the problem, speak in front of other developers, encourage consumers to make more intelligent purchasing decisions, and make product quality the number one concern as the bottomline will take care of itself if the product is amazing.
Since that is all said, it’s simple to say what one thinks the solution to the product quality stagnation is but something entirely when trying to fix the issue. Perhaps it’s just me being overly critical and ‘picky’ about the quality games. I can admit that my knowledge of game development is very limited and is also one of many reasons I want to be in the industry. However, I think with the current technological innovations in the industry does merit a lot more unique approaches towards gameplay. Even graphics and story need to be innovative and unique just as much as the gameplay. We live in a technological era for video games where gameplay, graphics, and story need to have just as much attention towards one another as the next.
Design Projects
As I’ve illustrated above, I’ve been trying to find a solution to some of the problems that exist in the industry about the quality of games. The first thing I identified was the lack of complicated but easy to enter type of games. Imagine EVE Online but is newbie friendly to get deeply engaged in for a game. That would be amazing. Now to achieve another solution that is being starved in the industry for browser games was a game that could continuously release content, is free to play with a non-pay to win cash shop model, and rivaled the complexity of EVE Online, Archeage, and the upcoming MMO Star Citizen. It would be a truly gigantic game to lose yourself into.
Now such a game is possible but has never been done in the browser game realm of the industry. Why? This is such an important question to answer and the answer could be many things. There could be a funding issue, there could be an unnecessary deadline to meet, it could just be a business decision to create cash grab games repeatedly and the only thing that matters would be the bottom line, or the developers simply don’t have the non-monetary resources to make such a product.
Looking a little away from the idea of a browser game but still in the video game realm are card games. Digital card games are increasingly growing in popularity. With that fact maturing more and more with all sorts of games coming out, such as Shadow Era, Duel of Champions, Hearthstone, Infinity Wars, Scrolls, and Hex: Shards of Fate, it has become an open battlefield to see who can reign supreme on top of everyone else. Now this competition is healthy and I am all for supporting healthy competition between businesses and that raised the idea of creating my own card game. The project already has two years of work on it and is moving slowly but strongly. Certain things regarding the game I’ve had to make changes about because of the recent lawsuit between Wizards of the Coast vs Cryptozoic Entertainment regarding the similarities between Hex: Shards of Fate and Magic: The Gathering.
Although these two game design projects, of mine, will require funding to see publication, this is already being worked out.
No comments:
Post a Comment